E Rider Forums Our Community The Amazing Model 30

This topic contains 51 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Paul IOM 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Paul IOM
    Participant

To confirm, my friend was out on my old bike yesterday and said she got 12 miles with hills and flat out most of the time, before the meter hit red and the bike started to cut out just as she arrived home.

So on 2 year old batteries not bad going.

Dawid Ptak
    Participant

I do 28 miles twice daily second week now with 850 feet of hills between Lancaster and Blackpool (4 times a week) and I usually have about 16 miles range left on full battery (tested it the hard way – ran out of ‘juice’ six miles from home – that was nice day and pretty scenery :p) that gives me around 44 miles range over here. Will see after few weeks – as long i have 28 miles range I am happy.
    Can i buy second batery and conected it too to extend the range (i was thinking to get smaller battery i could maybe plug in to the plug for charger if that would work at all as I do not know much about batteries and etc dont want to double up the voltage by accident and damage the motor)?

Dawid Ptak
    Participant

It takes me 4h40 minutes to charge it up from flat. I also have trouble estimating how much charge is left after short ride as the indicator is not accurate (I am guessing as with all bateries the higher temperature of battery show up more range/power left but once left to cool down it shows the real amount). I once did 16 miles and pluged it for about one hour hopping to top it up enough to get mine 28 miles but i only made 27 miles before the motor switched off (i was still going with decent speed when it stoped – some kind safety cut off ?). i ride top speed all the time and often with lights on. I was wondering about the charging process. Is it slowing down towards the end like it does with mobile phone batteries? so lets say last 20 % takes the longer to charge up?

Ken Ferguson
    Keymaster

Hi Dawid

It would be technically possible to add another battery (wired in parallel) and extend the range however would not recommend. Wire it in series and you would double the voltage and blow the controller. Range on any EV is difficult to predict because there are so many factors affecting it and if you are getting in excess of 40 miles on hilly roads that is about what the bike is designed for. There is a battery management system with lithium batteries which cuts the power before the batteries get to a critical state of discharge.

staarek
    Participant

hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could advise as i cannot find the info anywhere. Here it goes, can Model 30 City carry 2 people ? Many thanks!

mjbass
    Participant

Could I ask a question about the speedo on the model 30? Mine’s packed up, the odometer as well. I was thinking that it’s something to do with the cable as that’s been the culprit on some of my cars over the decades. I’ve checked the connections at both ends and they seem ok. Has anybody had a similar problem, as I thought it may be a known fault, and could save me some dismantling time.

Paul IOM
    Participant

Drop Ken an email, I think he’s changed one under warranty for someone else.

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.