E Rider Forums Our Community Reviews

This topic contains 76 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Christopher Breytenbach 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • Author

pcbob55
    Participant

Today I took charge of my Erider15 – Gregg the delivery driver was superb, as I work nights I messaged him for an approximate time – he said around 11:00 but he would text me a little closer to the time he would be there. Very professional and helpful, I thank him for that.
    Unwrapping was the biggest challenge I think – lots of it, everything well protected. Assembly was quite easy, especially with a mug of coffee 🙂
    With battery charged it was time for a final check – everything worked fine. One final check was the tyres, and this is where I am unsure. The front 40psi – the back was 70psi, is this correct. Although I did reduce to 40psi.
    Time for work and my 1st erider experience, and it was – absolute awesome, quiet, handled well and was a joy to sit there cruising along at 24kph.
    Thank you Ken and team you have made me a very happy man purchasing the erider15.
    PS. For anyone wondering if the pedals fold up, they do – you need to push them in and tilt up. another great idea to save your shins 🙂

Paul IOM
    Participant

I would drop an email to Ken about the tyre pressures, he did post them somewhere on here a while ago but I can’t find the thread now.

pcbob55
    Participant

The manual does state 40psi – so guessing something went awry when being assembled. I’ll do that as it could become dangerous if anyone does not check them before riding

Ken Ferguson
    Keymaster

Hi Bob

Seems strange that your rear tyre was over inflated at the factory. Don’t think it would have been dangerous particularly but would have made for a harder less comfortable ride.

Anyway well spotted and glad you are enjoying your Model15.

Ken

Mateen46
    Participant

I am a happy owner of a E-Rider Rondo.
    Thank you Ken and E-Rider team for this wonderful little moped. This is my daily ride to office in the crowded streets of London.

Highs:
    – Sleek and stylish
    – Lightweight and compact
    – Has a front Disk brake

Lows:
    -Charger doesn’t go in the slot given in the battery. So can’t charge the battery by removing from the moped. Only option is to use the slot in the bike itself with the battery inside.

Is there any way to connect the charger to the battery directly?

Regards,
    Mateen

Ken Ferguson
    Keymaster

Hi Mateen

That does not sound right at all- the bike has been designed to have the battery removable for charging. We will email you separately and get this issue resolved.

Nayton
    Participant

I am the happy owner of the Erider model 15 special edition i have done roughly 90 miles on it so far and i love it. I did how ever have a problem with the center stand where it started catching the pedals when pedalling. A quick email to erider had that sorted with in a week they was good to me by sending a new stand out and when taking off the old one i noticed the bolt they put in the stand to adjust the height of the stand when folded had got damage on it. The thread had been demolished and so it took the stand with it as the thread in the stand had been ripped out aswell.
    I have ridden the bike in the rain and snow and had no problems what so ever.
    I have to say the best part about the bike is over taking other cyclists with no effort at all. Before buying this bike i was catching taxis and buses to work so now that i have this bike im saving over £50 a week. Being 22 and having mates who all have cars they think im mad for buying it but that doesn’t bother me as i know this bikes saving me money and thats what matters the most. Ive been pulled by police for no helmet and they thought it was a fully fledged scooter but after explaining what it was to them they left me to it. The look on their faces when pointing out the pedals was priceless

pcbob55
    Participant

I would suggest for your own personal safety you invest in a cycle helmet. That a lone will give you brownie points if / when you get stopped. And of course peace of mind. 🙂

Nayton
    Participant

I have recently brought a open face motorbike helmet as the roads i travel down have cars going down them at 40 and 50 (always get a speeder) so thought it be best to be safe than sorry.

Mateen46
    Participant

I wear the full riding gear – Helmet, Jacket, Gloves & Boots. Safety First!

Also, by doing this, I switch to camouflage mode as everyone assumes that I am riding a boring, tiny moped. So, there’s no suspicion / unwanted attention drawn, especially from police.
    Only time it backfires is when I take the cycle lanes. I get stares from people, as if saying “Why’s he taking a moped in a cycle lane?!” 🙂

Chris Cotton
    Participant

Hi All,
    I have just done the first few weeks with my E-Rider Moda and I wanted to share my experience!

Delivery:
    Was a bit slower than I was expecting mainly because I hadn’t realized I was part of the introductory batch so I was not buying from stock. It wasn’t a problem once I understood.
    When the bike finally arrived it turned up in a welded metal frame, complete with castors at the corners. An amazing creation that I now have in the shed! Certainly a lot of care had been taken in ensuring that the Moda reached me in pristine condition.
    Once I cut the ties and lifted the bike out the crate, all the assembly I had to do was to attach the trim on the swing arm (4 hex bolts into captive nuts) and add the 2 mirrors stalks to the handlebars using their screw thread and hex lock nuts.
    First impressions of looking it over and driving it up and down the drive were excellent. It’s not Honda build quality but it all works and it’s certainly fit for purpose. The bike came with a little backrest too which my daughter thought was great and basically she thinks it looks like a Stormtroopers codpiece!

Registering:
    What a bunch of muppets they are at the DVLA. They sent everything back because I hadn’t specified the mileage for my NEW bike.. erm.. 00000. And nowhere did it say that I had to send the type certification document. Anyway, eventually I got the V5C, insurance through Bikesure, plate from Halfords but I drilled it myself cos they wanted 12quid to drill 2 holes! In total it took about 6 weeks from arriving to riding and xmas was in the middle of that.

Riding:
    I’ve never been a scooter rider. I’ve had many full on motorcycles and have a full license etc but I’ve been using it for 3 weeks now and it is huge amounts of fun to use in town. I live in the hilly Clifton area of Bristol where it is mostly 20mph limits and it happily keeps up with the traffic, whatever the slope, even with daughter on the back. It maxes out around 28mph which is a bit slow when I’m going a bit further afield but it’s very useable in city traffic. It’s small, light and quick of the mark and tracks nicely round a corner. The ride crashes a bit over potholes but that’s what vehicles with small wheels do. All the switchgear works nicely, with good positive controls and a decent horn.
    A problem I have found is about holding it on a hill. As a motorcylcist you’d use the foot/rear brake, blipping the throttle and wang it off the lights as soon as they changed. With this thing, when you twist the throttle it doesn’t kick in instantly. That’s fine, a slight pause is a good safety feature. But the brakes are obviously part of a circuit that switches the regenerative system in. So if you hold the bike at the lights/junction on the brake, you can’t use the throttle and you get a little bit of roll back when you release the brake and wait for the electric motor to kick in. Alternatively you can lean forwards and grip with your feet to hold the bike. Or you can try and balance the bike on the throttle… I have tried all 3 methods and it’s not easy to find one that I’m 100% happy about. But it’s not dangerous so….
    The only other thing is the range / battery meter. My work is 10miles away so I thought the 50 mile advertised range would be fine when I bought it, even if it’s cold. And yet on the first day I went to work on it, I was down to 1 of the 4 battery bars just on the way in! The thing is that with a bit of regenerative braking the gauge would shoot back up to 3 or 4 bars! On the way home, I was on 1 bar for a lot of the way, buttocks clenched waiting for it to stop, worrying why it was going slower up hills etc. Iit probably wasn’t going slower at all but such was my range anxiety. And yet every time I went down a hill the battery meter would rise 1 or 2 bars. I think I still had 2 bars when I got home. The gauge is just cobblers and that’s a bit annoying when the range is a pretty important thing for an EV!
    I have managed the 10miles to work plus 10miles back many times now and I’m starting to try and push the envelope even further to find out exactly what the range is. I’m not expecting 50miles, I’m already delighted to get 25miles but I’m steadily going further to see what happens so I know what the realistic range is rather than relying on the dodgy battery/range meter. I’ll keep you posted but I’d be interested to hear what other riders have been getting? And does the gauge start flashing when it is empty?
    Living with the machine is easy. It is big enough that it will comfortably take10 year old daughter to school and while the stowage space won’t take her helmet, I can bungee the helmet to the seat backrest without it covering the rear light and cover it with a bag. The stowage is massive compared to sports bikes I’ve owned, easily big enough for all the little bits and bobs you need… e.g. my skirt rain cover, a small towel, a few carrier bags, D-lock+whip, gloves etc. I’ve managed a few packs of coffee and fish supper for 3 under there as well. I’ve not tried charging my phone yet cos I don’t want to affect range but the USB’s definitely work and are a very thoughtful addition. I also haven’t tried taking the battery out. While it is very silent, this hasn’t yet been an issue with pedestrians or other road users over and above the shear wonderment of them thinking “What is that thing and why isn’t it making any noise?”

Overall:
    I love it, daughter loves it. Everyone who has had a go on it loves it. People look at you going down the street wondering what it is. A bunch of students tried to photo me at the lights on it. As a city runabout, for getting about and doing stuff it is absolutely ideal and it will do my 20mile commute when it suits. It’s as cool as a Tesla but rarer and I suspect far more ecofriendly!

Paul IOM
    Participant

Hill starts are a bit of a problem with my Model 30 City too, its because the brake light switch cuts the power so when you hold the brake on the throttle is disconnected.

I find with mine that on hills its best to hold the throttle fully open and then release the brake, then rolling the throttle off as it pulls away, its something you get used to with practice.

Regarding range, don’t wait for the bike to slow down as an indication of running out of charge as it doesn’t work like that with lithium-ion batteries, they are controlled by a battery management system (BMS) which at a set voltage basically shuts the batteries down, until then you get full lercormance, so its a bit like running out of fuel with a normal engine.

They have to be managed this way as if they allowed to discharge past a certain point all sorts of nasty things can happen such as thermal runaway (fireworks!!) So all lithium ion systems run through a BMS to cut them at a set voltage unlike the old lead acid powered vehicles which would slowly die away.

Glad you are enjoying the Moda, I love my little City for nipping around town.

Paul IOM
    Participant

And lercormance should read performance but my thumbs are bigger than my keyboard!!

Chris Smith
    Participant

I brought the E Rider 15 last month to use as a run about around town. One of the best things I’ve purchased in quite a long time. It’s light, zippy and easy to handle and does everything it says on the box. I would suggest that perhaps the suppliers could but together a basic manual on line for general maintenance which would help keep the bike in tip top condition. Other than that, great bike and I look forward to many years of ‘zipping’ around town.

Ken Ferguson
    Keymaster

Hi Chris

Glad to hear you are enjoying your bike. With regards to maintenance there is a User Guide on the Model 15 page of the website but a manual would be a very short book indeed.

Keep your tyres at 40PSI, oil your chain occasionally and rub any areas showing surface rust with an oily rag. The brakes are over specified for the speed of the bike and the motor has no moving parts.

Enjoy!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.