E Rider Forums Our Community Technical

This topic contains 78 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Noel Hargrave 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
  • Author

Ayesongs
    Participant

OK. I’ve fully charged the bike and checked the voltage across all of the batteries. It reads 66.1V. So it looks like they are getting a pretty good charge. I wonder if my range problem is just due to the very cold weather we’ve been having. It’s regularly been below zero here for the past couple of weeks.

Paul IOM
    Participant

I would guess the low temperatures are causing some loss of range.

Keith Byatt
    Participant

This article explains quite well the effect of temperature on battery performance
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharging_at_high_and_low_temperatures
    So at around -10 deg C you will loose up to 50% of battery capacity. Whatever you do, do not try to charge lithium ion batteries in sub zero temperatures. Could cause the battery to explode. Bring it indoors to warm up first.

K

Ken Ferguson
    Keymaster

Hi Keith

Thanks for this. Battery University is a wonderful resource.

Regarding charging lithium batteries at below zero temperatures I was aware that this could cause plating of the anodes and gradual deterioration so warming the battery first is good practice but have to say I was unaware of any H&S implications.

Do you have a link to this?

Ayesongs
    Participant

That’s good advice. I should put a wee heater in my garage then. I’ve been losing about a third of the capacity in temperatures between -1 and 2°C. So 50% at -10°C sounds about right.

Ayesongs
    Participant

Hi, guys.

I’m hoping for some electrical expertise to help me out here. Just this past couple of days my Model 30 has been tripping its circuit breaker, forcing me to retreat to the side of the road for a check on the bike. I’ve managed to get going again by flicking the switch back on but, today, it cut out and wouldn’t successfully restart until a good ten minutes had passed. My immediate restart just flicked the circuit breaker off again.
    What is most likely to be the problem? The bike otherwise runs absolutely fine. Is there something that takes a little time to draw an overcurrent and then recovers after a few minutes cooling down?

Ayesongs
    Participant

Just a wee bit of supplementary information to my last post on my circuit breaker problem on the Model 30. Prior to the problem with the trip switch flicking off while driving, it cut out twice while I was charging. So it doesn’t seem to be due to extra load when the bike is on.

Is it the circuit breaker that is needing replaced?

Paul IOM
    Participant

I would change the breaker first and see if that solves the problem, they aren’t expensive, take a photo of it and pop to an electrical retailer, they should have them or be able to order one for you.

If that doesn’t cure it you will have to look further.

Keith Byatt
    Participant

Coupled with the previous posts, maybe there is a battery problem. if there is a faulty cell, it would explain your range problems. If there is a faulty cell, the other cells in the battery will producing a lower voltage, and for the same power will need a higher current flow, which will perhaps exceed the trip load for the breaker. I would suggest checking the battery first. What voltage is showing off load after charge?

Ayesongs
    Participant

I’m thinking it has to be one or other of these. I’ve been taking a route through Dumfries recently that has a lot of traffic calming measures and I’m wondering if the wee switch has had one too many speed bumps to deal with.
    I’m charging the batteries now and I’ll check the voltage after that.If it’s up in the 60s again I’ll get a new circuit breaker.

Ken Ferguson
    Keymaster

Let us know if you need a new trip switch- we have them in stock.

Ken

Ayesongs
    Participant

I’ve charge the Model 30 and checked the battery voltage. It’s 67.1V which looks like a healthy total for the five cells. I’m thinking I should change the trip switch and see if that improves things but I would be happier if I could get a look inside the wiring, especially behind the seat box. I’m not sure that would be an easy space to get into, though.

I’ll post more later.

Ayesongs
    Participant

Ken – I’ll take that new trip switch. Have you got my details there? How much is it?

albiem
    Participant

Hi All,

I’m experiencing issues with speed and range on the Model 30 Moda since purchased. I travel 4 miles in the morning and 4 miles in the afternoon. I charge the battery every night, the charger goes red and then green indicating the battery is fully charged. I provided readings from the battery after a full charge –

Battery – 83v

In the morning i never get speeds over 27mph and on the way back never over 25mph. The battery indicator shows as 2 bars when I arrive home indicating half the battery has drained after only 8 miles. The speed is also clearly impacted after only 4 miles, neither can right?

I’m also talking to Tim over email who’s being helpful but always good to ask the community for any additional advice on what might be wrong here? I will be providing a battery reading after my 8 miles on Tim’s instruction which I will also provide here.

Thanks

Paul IOM
    Participant

The cold will definitely be having some effect on range, but it does sound like you have a problem somewhere, don’t worry though, you have a warranty and E Rider will sort you out.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.