E Rider Forums Our Community Technical

This topic contains 79 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  steven 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author

Ken Ferguson
    Keymaster

Do you have any technical tips relating to the E RIDER?

How to change a tyre?

How to repair a broken chain?

How to make it travel at 60mph?

Post your tips and problems here.

Ken Ferguson
    Keymaster

One of the most common questions I am asked is “when do I charge my battery”. What can I do to keep in best condition?

I suppose the simplest answer is “to charge it whenever you’re not riding your bike”!!! The E RIDER is supplied with a “smart charger” and the battery cannot be overcharged. I am fortunate enough to have an external power point in my garage so I put the bike back “on charge” whenever I bring it home. But even if you don’t have an external point try to get into the habit of taking the cassette out each time you use the bike and charge it up.

I suppose if you are doing frequent short journeys this may be impractical however I would definitely suggest you try to put it back on charge after your journeys have racked up about a combined hour of driving time.

Hope this helps.

Ellen Nicholson
    Participant

I’m thinking of getting one of these to help with my free newspaper and leaflet delivery job. Anybody got any thoughts or advice?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FoxHunter-New-Bike-Bicycle-Cycle-Luggage-Cargo-Trailer-Carrier-Foldable-Black-/121280152438?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item1c3cdc4376

Malpoet
    Participant

That’s interesting Ellen. First of all congratulations on some innovative thinking about using your E Rider to help you with your job. Unfortunately I can’t give much useful advice.

We don’t sell trailers ourselves and I do not have any experience in using them. I do know that luggage trailers are towed behind electric bikes quite a lot in the Untied States and there is even a website about the use of electric bikes as cargo vehicles. We put a link to it from our Facebook page recently and you may like to have a look at it.

https://www.facebook.com/eriderbikes

When we were exhibiting the E Rider at the 2014 Ideal Home Exhibition I was asked several times about pet transport on the bike. I didn’t have any information at the time, but in fact there are plenty of trailers available for dogs, cats, etc. Here is one example which is reasonably affordable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOG-PET-CAT-LUGGAGE-BICYCLE-BIKE-TRAILER-NEW-R-B-/120476687979?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Toasters&hash=item1c0cf85e6b

As we have not tested any of these products we do not know whether they would fit safely on the E Rider and we ahve no information about their quality or how well they would work with the bike.

As there is potentially some interest in using trailers with the E Rider for a range of different purposes it would be very interesting to hear from anybody who has used trailers with any sort of bike or electric bike. Please let us know what your experience has been.

Ken Ferguson
    Keymaster

Like all vehicles with pneumatic tyres, it is possible your E RIDER could get a puncture. If you are fortunate, this will be on the front wheel as this is easy to remove for repair (remember you fitted it when your bike arrived). However we recently had a customer with a flat rear tyre and our in house technical expert (that’s Malcolm) has put together the following detailed instructions to resolve the problem.

Repairing a rear wheel puncture

If your tyre deflates and fails to maintain pressure when inflated, you either have a puncture or a faulty valve.

You can check the valve by putting some air into the tyre and then smearing soapy water over the valve end. If bubbles come from the valve it is leaking air. Valve cores can sometimes be cleaned and will then operate correctly, but it is probably best to buy a new schrader valve core from your local cycle shop. You will also need a valve tool to remove the defective core and insert the new one. These are low cost items.

If the valve is not faulty, check the tyre externally to see if there is any damage or an object penetrating it. Mark the location of any penetrating object and remove it. The next stage, with the tyre deflated, is to use a set of tyre levers to open one side of the tyre. If you have marked the damage point, withdraw the inner tube at the correct area and examine the puncture. If it is relatively small damage the best option may be to repair the tube with a puncture repair kit.

If the damage is not repairable there is a little more work to be done. It will be necessary to remove the wheel to replace the tube and, if necessary, the tyre.

It is best to remove the rear footrest trim to give better access to the wheel nuts. Locate the plastic clamp on the right side of the wheel spindle which holds the motor cable in place. Ease it apart, using a flat head screwdriver if necessary, and store it in a safe place.

With an open ended spanner loosen the locking nuts on each side of the wheel. Next loosen the main wheel securing nuts. A brass coloured plate on each side now prevents the wheel from being removed from the frame. These must be removed with a cross head screwdriver assisted by a spanner on the hexagon head. On the left side of the wheel you need to undo the brake which is fixed to the frame by two hexagon headed bolts. Again this I done with a screwdriver and spanner.

Take the bike chain off its sprocket so that it hangs loose. Carefully observe the location of the wheel washers so that you can restore them to the correct position when you reassemble. You can now slide the wheel backwards from the frame until the left side of the spindle is clear. At this point you can remove the inner tube and/or tyre.

Having carried out the necessary repair or replacement of your tyre and tube, reassembly is by the reverse of the above procedure. When the wheel is fully in place, but not tightened, put the chain back onto its sprocket and pull the wheel until the correct tension is on the chain and the wheel is properly aligned with the bike. Tighten each wheel main nut and turn the pedals to ensure that the wheel is moving freely and straight. When this is done tighten the locking nuts and the job is complete.

You may wish to refer to the following wiki for more information:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycles/Maintenance_and_Repair/Wheels_and_Tires/Fixing_a_flat#Valve_Problems

If you do not wish to do this job yourself your local bike or motorbike shop will be able to do it. Most have reasonable prices.

fahadkhan0205
    Participant

Dear Ken

Good afternoon just to wanna say that your team and company are doing very well on E-Rider Bikes, my question is regarding about the lock seat ive just recently got my bike and for some reason i can lock my seat even when i use the keys is their something missing can you please let me know when you get the chance.

thanks
    fahad ali khan

Ken Ferguson
    Keymaster

Hi Fahad

The seat is on a spring lock- to lock it you just apply a little pressure from above and it should click into place. You then use the main key into the lock on the side of the bike to release it.

Hope this helps.

Ken

fahadkhan0205
    Participant

Good morning thank you for the spring lock for the seat it works fine now, and your right about the charging after when the bike is not in use beleive me or not ive forgot to charge my battery last night and today i survive less then 10mph speed but no choice had to paddle it it was not fun just come work sweating like just come out from hammam lol, but now ive learn my lesson to get the most out of the speed then is to charge it when not using the bike. Another thing i would like to ask that the pressure of tires what is the maxium psi on that please do let me know thank u.

regards
    fahad ali khan

fahadkhan0205
    Participant

oh yea one more thing how to make it How to make it travel at 60mph please this will help all the E-Riders

Ken Ferguson
    Keymaster

Hi Fahad

Unfortunately the bike is not allowed to travel on the road at more than 15mph by law and we have limited it to that top speed. We will be introducing a 60mph version next year but it will need to be registered with the DVLA.

The tyres should be blown up to 40psi

Ken

fahadkhan0205
    Participant

thank you for replying the reason why i asked about the 60mph is that on your comment which stated:

Do you have any technical tips relating to the E RIDER?

How to change a tyre?

How to repair a broken chain?

How to make it travel at 60mph?

Post your tips and problems here.

thats why i ask how to make it travel at 60mph and in your post the date was July 4, 2014 at 9:00 am.

and please about the battery the black box can it be opened and how long a full battery will last me for maximum speed of 15mph, and if im charging my batter in my office is my alarm for bike is still activated or do i have to put the battery in the bike and then the alarm is activated please reply the full answer of my question.

thanks

Ken Ferguson
    Keymaster

Hi Fahad

Sorry but the bit about 60mph was meant as a joke. Sorry!!!

As discussed on the phone yesterday you should not open the battery case unless there is a problem. The distance you can travel on a full charge varies according to load and terrain- you should get around 1.5 hours driving time.

If the battery is removed from the bike non of the electronic functions will operate.

Ken

Luci_ferson
    Participant

Hi Fahad
    Im just another user like yourself. ive been riding mine for nearly a year now.
    Ive experienced every possible unpleasant experience you could have on an electric bicycle and 95% can be avoided by simply purchasing a second battery.
    Like yourself ive experienced riding home peddling like mad to keep above 10mph . ive also experienced the bike having a flat battery and having to push the bike home because peddling is far too difficult when theres no power at all.
    Running the batteries low is also not good for the batteries.
    The simplest solution is a second battery .
    I ride on my bike and then disconnect the battery ive just used and connect the fresh fully charged one.
    This way I can still put the alarm on whilst I take the other battery and charge it.
    The extra confidence of carrying a fully charged spare makes these vehicles a very fun and pleasant experience.
    I carry mine in a backpack and after a week of doing this I now don’t even notice i’m carrying it.
    The extra pockets of the backpack also come in very useful.

Luci_ferson
    Participant

In response to tips on making them go 60mph

To increase speed would require a pretty good understanding of how these bikes work.
    they are carefully balanced to give optimal distance from a full charge.
    any increase in speed would greatly affect possible distance.
    The only way to counter that would be a larger Ah (amp hours ) battery, but this would only solve the distance problem and at best you would still only get around 18 to 20 mph
    The extra strain on the motor controller and hub motor would also lower their lifespan drastically.
    No tweak or modification would get these vehicles up to 60mph they simply are not capable of it.
    20mph maybe but the trade off with lifespan of the vehicle simply isnt worth it.
    To get 60mph you would need to change 3 components.
    the battery from 36v 10Ah to 48v 30Ah (preferably 72v ) and a suitable controller , 48volt controllers are easier to find but even these usually max out at just over 30mph.
    You would also need to change the back wheel as the brushless motor would need upgrading to a suitable motor for the controller and battery.
    Any of these modifications would make the vehicle no longer legal to rid on U.K. roads and would be for off road use only as it would no longer qualify as an Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle (E.A.P.C.)
    Any modification to the bikes speed would also require an upgraded breaking system simply for safety reasons.

That would be a lot of expencive modifications for something that would become illegal to use.
    Im already considering purchasing one of the newer faster models. it would be a much better investment than modifying.

fahadkhan0205
    Participant

hey luci thank your for your message i totally agree what your saying no doubt about that, but paying for the battery is a bit expensive so ive found a another way to keep my bike secure while my battery get charge is that buying this product: Oxford Boss Alarm Disc Lock- 14mm Yellow and trust me it works so at least your bike is alarmed and secured and is protected by the approved sold secure, becuase ive just got my n=bike insured so now ive got nothing to worry about. So when im not using the bike i just charge my battery and ready to use it when im out and about with it. this is my bike and proud to ride it in london and had no problems from the public or the motrist or the law everyone is just amazed to see something like this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.