E Rider Forums Our Community Guardcover Recovery and Insurance on my Beautiful Model 18

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    barry74
    Participant

I’ve been speaking to Guardcover over over the last couple of days and they will not cover the Model 18 as it cannot be locked through the frame. They’ve checked this with the underwriters. I mentioned to them that other people had insured through them but they said they’d probably done it online an in the event of a claim the bike wouldn’t be insured and their premium would be returned to them.
    Any other suggestions for insurance companies who cover these type of bikes?

dhodgson1980
    Participant

Ah that’s frustrating, I insured with them and as others had said they cover these bikes I took it out online. I suppose I need to call them and cancel the insurance, no point paying for something that they will not cover.

I would like to hear from Erider as to which insurance provider will cover these bikes. They state in the T&Cs of the lease agreement that the bike needs to be insured but no one I have spoken to will cover.

Paul IOM
    Participant

It would be worth a chat to your home insurers first, often pedal cycles and leisure equipment can be added to home policies cheaply.

scarrabri
    Participant

oops again my bike insurance is Lexham

kendrick
    Participant

scarrabri If you don’t mind me asking how much is your insurance per year.
    Kendrick

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by kendrick.
    scarrabri
    Participant

They tried to cancel it because of some nonsense but i insisted they honour the agreement for the full 12 mths which they have but this is a disgrace and totally unprofessional,very poor

scarrabri
    Participant

Again this is nonsense because they have clearly insured me for the remaining 12 mths ,they being Lexam there excuse being it was insured under the Bicycle scheme which now has changed ,so it looks like i have bought a bike that is now not fit for the road how ridicules is that god help us if we run in to some one and they are badly hurt and we have no insurance

scarrabri
    Participant

The day i found out about my Lexham insurance was about to be cancelled i rang Lexham and said i am ringing up about my model 18 bike and the insurance and the person on the phone said oh yes we insure them and i had to insist that they no longer did or else if i had been a new customer they would have taken my money ,totally unbelievable

scarrabri
    Participant

My next question is and this is to E Rider as you sold us a bike that you said could be insured so can you please supply some insurance companies that will insure us or can we return the bike ? as being miss sold

kendrick
    Participant

I get my Insurence though eta services http://www.eta.co.uk cost is a bit more and done on a 1month Rowling contract. You will need a sold secure lock or lock and chain Cycle gold standard or motor scooter silver though you will have to fight a bit to hav the admit they are the same level. I mainly have it for if I crash you are covered for breakdowns flats and other things similar. Make sure they know what they are recovering tell them to send a recovery vehicle suitable to pick up a Vespa.
    Kendrick

scarrabri
    Participant

Thankyou so much for the info

dhodgson1980
    Participant

I did not do anything with my Guardcover insurance but the other day the battery ran out half way home and I needed to be recovered. This raised questions at Guardcover about whether the bike would be covered. They did arrange a recovery but I have just had a call from Guardcover saying my bike did not meet the terms set by the underwriter and they needed to cancel my policy. I actually grilled them really hard about what it is about the bike that meant it could not be insured by them. They stated it was because it has an ignition and throttle and could be ridden at 15mph without peddling where as push bike framed EAPCs can only go 3mph without peddling. I stated that the majority of EAPC owners would not ride at 3mph and pedal to go faster and faster than 15mph in some cases so what was different about my bike to a push bike framed EAPC. I got some rubbish about people with no legs!!?? So I asked what specific risk the underwriters had identified which meant they could not cover this bike when it does the same as a push bike EAPC just in a scooter frame, this they could not answer. I will be calling UK General Insurance to find out what is different about this bike other than it’s physical characteristics that means it cannot be insured. I’ll update when I have done that.

So anyone with Guardcover insurance, call them to cancel and get your money back. I thank them for the free recovery (no mention of them charging me for it) and I will search for another insurer.

Shame Erider don’t tell you about this stuff.

justin0679
    Participant

Very useful and thanks for sharing.
    Please update when you know more.
    Kind regards

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by justin0679. Reason: Forgot a word. Its late
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.