E Rider Forums Our Community Road Legal

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ken Ferguson 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

LordDarkenon
    Participant

I’ve been looking at the model 15, but the ‘twist and go’ throttle appears to make this bike illegal under the UK EAPC Law. This says that above 6km/h the pedals must be turning and the bike should not operate on the throttle alone.

Please can you confirm how the model 15 operates to enable it to conform to legislation.

Ken Ferguson
    Keymaster

Hi Lord Darkenon

The current EAPC regulations as issued by the Department for Transport can be found here

As you can see there is no mention of whether the bike is powered by the throttle or pedals.

There is no doubt, as is mentioned in the article to which you link, that the regulations in this area are a mess with an apparent conflict between the EU and UK rules. (I’m voting “leave”!!!). However we are entirely comfortable that the Model 15 bikes we are currently selling are fully road legal in the UK.

LordDarkenon
    Participant

Thanks for the response.

I have also found this which says twist and go is allowed – but only if from Jan 2016 there is ‘type approval’ of the bike. Has the Model 15 been type approved?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/482015/electrically-assisted-pedal-cycles.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjM5uGAsvfKAhXH2hoKHaRQCXgQFggnMAI&usg=AFQjCNH1rqJpxF4CSkN3FUJIV6XlLRWVCA&sig2=6NPwNTK7x_gAwy-BSo5UQA

Power assistance – “Twist and Go” Because of the particular benefits for elderly and disabled users, pedal cycles providing electrical assistance without use of the pedals – usually called “Twist and Goes” – are included in the above GB classification provided they are capable of pedal operation and comply with the above restrictions on maximum motor power and assistance cut-off speed.

However, under European law5 new “Twist and Go” vehicles will, from January 2016, have to meet a range of technical requirements before they can be used on roads. This will normally be established by “type approval” at the manufacturing stage but importers and individuals will be able to seek an individual approval for vehicles that have not been type approved.

Ken Ferguson
    Keymaster

As I said above the regulations are a mess- even the quotation you highlight from the DfT document appears to be contradictory. No technical requirements have yet been established by which it would be possible to obtain type approval for an electric bike so the new EU regulation does not make any sense. Our other bikes have EWVTA.

Trust this explains (as much as it is possible to explain the inexplicable).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.