E Rider Forums Our Community Model 15 SE

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kev 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Kev
    Participant

Hi Ken,

I received my Model 15 SE today, at almost 7:30PM (!) but there are a couple of niggles I feel I should bring up, especially considering that I paid extra to have the bike assembled.

Firstly and most importantly, the front brake was not adjusted in any way, shape or form. It’s downright dangerous, even at low speeds (5 kmh / 3mph). Basically I can pull the right brake lever back almost until it touches the throttle grip, before the brake engages in any way, which surely isn’t right?!?

Secondly, neither the pedals or the wing mirrors were attached to the unit. I know this is a minor point in the grand scheme of things, but when I pay a premium for an item to be assembled, I think I’m right in my expectation that it should be assembled in its entirety, not just partially assembled.

Thirdly, I paid the extra £10 for the rear plate to be supplied and fitted to the bike. Imagine my surprise, when the bike was unloaded from the van in which it was delivered and it had no rear plate in situ. When I asked the delivery guys, they told me that all my accessories (pedals, mirrors, etc) would be either under the seat, or stowed in the rear top box. When I checked under the seat, the pedals and mirrors were there and inside the top box was the charger, but the back plate was nowhere to be found. >:( >:(

Ken, please could you let me know the best way of adjusting the front brake, please? If you could point me towards a Youtube video, that’d be extremely helpful.
    Also, if you could send me the rear plate ASAP, that would be good, too.

Many thanks,
    Kev.

Paul IOM
    Participant

Kev, the brake is adjusted by turning the nut which you can see on the very end of the cable where it goes through the brake arm at the front wheel, You will probably need pliers or a spanner on the nut to turn it.

Turn the nut and you will see it clicks on a cam system each full turn (you will feel it climb over the cam each turn) make enough full turns until the brake lever feels right for you, this depends on the size of your hands/fingers, but you should set it so that you can pull it pretty hard without it touching the handlebars, the same as on a bicycle.

Make sure the nut is turned a full turn each time and not left sitting up on its cam midway through a turn, you will see what I mean when you do it.

When you have finished give the wheel a spin by hand and make sure it is turning freely, as if you adjust the brake too tight it will bind and the wheel will feel tight to turn.

Hope this helps.

Kev
    Participant

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. It is greatly appreciated. 🙂
    I’ll get the pliers/adjustable spanner out tomorrow and give the nut you mention a couple of turns and see where we go from there.
    I was really starting to enjoy using the SE, until the time came and I tried to apply the front brake, even though I was traveling at a relatively slow speed, (5kmh or so), but it kinda took the edge off things when I squeezed the brake lever and felt nothing but travel, even when it was pressed almost against the throttle grip. I just thank my lucky stars that I decided to conduct my trial run in our flats’ quiet courtyard. Heaven only knows how many shades of white I would have been, if this was on the open road, even in light traffic. 🙁

Out of interest, does the Model 15 have a “dipped beam” mode? The reason I ask, is my lights seem to have just two settings; on or off. It doesn’t bother me per se, but if there are issues with the bike, then I would like to address them sooner rather than later, if you know what I mean?

Finally, I unwrapped the pedals and was expecting these to be the folding variety. Unfortunately, I found that they weren’t and I can’t fathom the left or right, as they appear to be marked in Chinese. Thankfully, I have an old folder, which I was able to scavenge some folders from, so no big deal there.

Kev.

Paul IOM
    Participant

I can’t answer the light switch question as I have a model 30 which has dipped/main, but I’m not sure about the model 15.

Regarding the pedals, they are opposite threads, so will only go onto the correct sides, the left pedal tightens anti clockwise, and the right pedal tightens clockwise (a reverse thread) so you can’t get them wrong as they wont start on the threads.

There is a model 15 user manual on the site which you can download, this might help with some of your questions, if you click on the model 15 tab at the top of the home page I’m sure it is there on the drop down menu.

Kev
    Participant

Hi Paul,

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Earlier today, I tightened up the front brake cable, as per your instructions and now that’s been done, I’m more confident about the overall safety of the bike. The cable probably could do with adjusting another couple of turns, but for now at least, the brake works a lot more effectively than it did previously.

WRT the dipped/main beam issue, it isn’t an issue at all, now. I’ll just use the main beam on the odd occasion that I need to use the bike at night.

I’ve switched the pedals for some folders, as I previously stated and I’ll fit these when I get the chance, likely at some point during the week, or next weekend, depending on work commitments.

I have indeed downloaded the user manual for the Model 15 and I’ve read through it. It doesn’t answer any of my questions, but I’m sure I’ll find things out for myself as time goes on.
    I’ve already discovered, by chance, that I’m able to lock the steering, if I push the “ignition” key down and turn it left, past the “off” position, then turn the handle bars in the desired “full lock” direction; something that I would have thought would be in the manual, but wasn’t.

Thanks for all your help,
    Kev.

Ken Ferguson
    Keymaster

Hi Kev

Sorry that your bike was delivered without a plate- another lucky customer has got a free one!!! We will send one in the post tonight.

Also pleased to hear you have got your teething problems sorted out. Perhaps once you have had the bike for a week or too you would be good enough to post a review.

Kev
    Participant

Hi Ken,

Please could you give me an update as to when the rear plate (and the crank arm dust covers) were dispatched, as I have not received them, yet?

Thanks,
    Kev.

Kev
    Participant

Hi again all,

Can someone please enlighten me how to adjust the rear brake?

I’ve previously managed to adjust the front brake, using the “cam” nut, but there doesn’t appear to be a cam nut on the rear to adjust and I’ve noticed that there’s quite a bit of “play” in the rear brake lever.

Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.