E Rider Forums Our Community throttle law

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  paulhanson47 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

trevor
    Participant

Hi can you tell me how the rondo etc with the 15mph throttle are legal to ride on our uk roads as i thought the law had changed and now it was only 6kmph unless the bike was a certain age?as i dont want to buy one and break the law?

paulhanson47
    Participant

Yes this whole area is a bureaucratic mess. Basically when the UK and EU regulations were harmonised the European lobby compromised with the UK rules by insisting on type approval for bikes with a throttle however they never got round to creating the criteria against which to approve!!!

The only thing we can be absolutely certain about is that it is perfectly legal for customers to purchase and ride our bikes. Please see below from the Department for Transport.

” “The responsibility for obtaining type approval (or single approval) rests squarely with the manufacturer or retailer. The user is not committing an offence by riding or purchasing a non-approved bike.”

‘Twist and go’ type approval guidance emerges

Hope this helps

Ken

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.