E Rider Forums Our Community Removing Chain – Model 18

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dhodgson1980
    Participant

Long shot as forums are not very active. I have been advised by ERider to remove the chain from my Model 18 to resolve an issue with the flywheel sticking and grinding!!! I wondered if anyone has done this and if so how do you remove the chain. If you did, does the pedal assist still work on the bike without the chain?

sarahkemp78
    Participant

my chain come off my model 15 and strangely the pedal assist still working. but dont know if it a coincidence but now when i pedal the battery dont seem to last as long

Tim Lulham
    Participant

The chain came off my model 15 around 2 years ago – it was not freewheeling so I wasn’t bothered and it operates much better now. My only concern is whether this invalidates it as a pedal cycle.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Tim Lulham.
    dhodgson1980
    Participant

Thank’s guys. I actually went ahead and took the chain off today, there is a quick release link which made it easy and it can be put back on if I want to.

As with the Model 15, the pedal assist is still working on the Model 18. I was advised by Erider that the pedal assist sensor is on the pedal spindle and the chain is superfluous, turns out that is correct. You could never just pedal one of these anyway they are too heavy for that.

@TimLulham, I doubt very much that these are ever actually considered pedal cycles anyway, but until I am told legally, I must stop riding it, I will keep doing so, not sure if I will keep this at the end of the lease or get a proper scooter and do my CBT. It concerns me greatly that I cannot get insurance for the thing.

Tim Lulham
    Participant

Hi from previous posts by Ken Ferguson I think it is classed as an Electric Assisted Pedal (EAPC). The regulations require that “the cycle must be fitted with pedals that can be used to propel it”. If removing the chain prevents this then it might mean it is no longer classified as an EAPC. That could mean problems if the rider was involved in an accident or stopped by a curious policeman.

sarahkemp78
    Participant

regarding previous post your quite right. but as the pedal assist is still working without chain. thats perfectly legal. it would only lose its rights as an “eapc” if u remove the actual pedals or the speed restrictor. u can find this information on uk.gov. i keep a printout of uk gov rules under my seat

sarahkemp78
    Participant

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules
    ooh ive never shared a link b4 hope i dun it right. x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.